Kansas environmental regulations



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Kansas State University. Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service


The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) enforces two different regulation s in the state of Kansas. One set of regulation s is from the Federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and applies to larger operations. The other is a set of Kansas regulation s created by our state legislature for smaller operations. EPA regulations pertain to confined feeding operation s in excess of 1,000 animal units and require an EPA National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit. Because an animal unit for the NPDES permit is defined as one beef animal, a feedlot with a capacity of 1,000 or more will need to apply to KDHE for a NPDES permit. The main criterion of the permit is to contain the runoff volume from a 24-hour, 25-year frequency rainfall event.



Beef, Operations, Environmental regulations